Precious Metals Used in Diamond Jewelry

Precious Metals Used in Diamond Jewelry

Some common types of metals used in diamond jewelry are platinum, silver, and gold. Other metals consist of stainless steel and titanium. Gold alloys used in diamond jewelry range from 10 carats to 21 carats, whereas alloys consisted of platinum are 90 to 95% pure. Sterling Silver is a very common metal in jewelry manufacturing and is used on a robust scale for today’s market. Below is a list for some of these precious metals types. In this article we delve into the various precious metals used in diamond jewelry.

Diamond Jewelry Metals Used

Gold

Gold jewelry is consisted of an alloy and mixed with other metals like zinc, nickel, copper, and silver. The color of the gold is determined by the type of metal that was used. Pure gold in its natural state is yellow in color and is 24K (carat) gold, being the highest quality for pure gold. It’s the amount of pure gold that’s added to the other metals that determines its final metal properties. The higher the concentrations of pure gold in the final metal product the higher the price tag. An 18K gold band is 75% pure gold and the remaining 25% of different metals will give the gold ring an unique color and appearance.

Silver

Silver is widely used in the manufacturing process of jewelry, however, it’s softer than titanium, platinum, and gold. It also lacks the hardness from other metals and is used primarily for Sterling Silver manufacturing purposes. Sterling Silver is mostly comprised of 7.5% copper and 92.5% silver and is beyond any doubt, one of the most popular metals in the jewelry industry. Sterling silver is meant to last forever and to be durable over the course of wearing it. A lot of common uses for this type of metal is for body jewelry, belt buckles, cuff links, bracelets, necklaces, and rings.

Sterling Silver is unique in its own right for the fact that it can be worn comfortably and has everyday fashion appeal that doesn’t go out of style while still displaying a timeless elegance. Pure white silver will suit most skin tones, however, it’s not intended for everyday use because it will tarnish. It can regain its pristine state with a good hand polish using the correct cleaning solutions. Silver-plated jewelry can also be made with using other metals by a process where other metals are coated by a thin layer of silver.

Platinum

Is a white metal that’s been used for thousands of years dating back to the Egyptian time period. In its purest form of 95% it can be used for making jewelry and metal rings. It’s very durable and it does not require rhodium plating like gold does to look white. Platinum has a higher price tag over gold and this price range almost doubles golds market value, making it a very expensive investment, however, a very solid investment that will always retain its value.

To enhance its durability and characteristics, platinum is made with cobalt, copper, and metals like iridium, rhodium, and palladium. The biggest advantage of platinum is its durability and resistance to tarnishing. Pure platinum will melt at 1769 degrees Celsius and is in high demand for jewelry manufacturers. Platinum along with iridium, osmium, palladium, rhodium, and ruthenium all work in unison to make a platinum group of metals for making jewelry.

Titanium

Is commonly found in abundance in nature, however, in conjunction with other types of elements like Rutile and Ilmenite. It didn’t exist until 1791 when it was discovered in its pure form and it was manufactured in 1910 for consumer use. It’s the hardest known metal to mankind and is 3 times stronger than steel, platinum, silver, and gold. It’s unique characteristics are being light-weight, scratch resistant, and its amazing strength. All of these qualities make it a fine metal selection for making jewelry and is colored easily which makes it a favorite for those who appreciate it’s qualities.

Stainless Steel

Is a very durable and hard metal, it’s primary use is not for traditional jewelry making. Its popularity is used in men’s bracelets and designer dress manufacturing. It’s not like traditional alloys that get poured into molds, the stainless steel jewelry most times is hand-cut from a solid block of steel leaving no weak spots or seams. Some other practical uses are for kitchen sinks, bathroom fixtures, and building materials. They all have significant value for the industries using stainless steel for the fact that stainless steel does not rust or tarnish. Jewelry made from stainless steel has the same qualities and is used on a smaller scale for jewelry manufacturing compared to the other top selling metals on the market today.

Knowing the metal properties and the gemstones that’s going on your piece of jewelry will help make you a smarter consumer and will raise your confidence with your purchase.

Leave a Comment